Saturday, January 8, 2011

THE EDGE: pole #7: Never bury your child first.

Its jan 7th 2011, its 10:41am
minus 8 ,
winds out of the north west at about 15km ,
little sun, a grey friday, kellie , kat, georg and I rode up the mont tremblant chair lift called the edge, for experts only, ... It feels colder........

Its 10:30am....

-----------------------------------
( Rewind)
All week the edge was not open, and I said to the girls we would have to come back...to complete our task..

And then thursday jan 6 th, as we rode to the top of the summit, there on the reader board a green light came on the edge...its now open...

That night after dinner, as we start to get tired and sleepy , kat and I crawled into our room, and from my vantage point I could not see Kats face, but I could here her typing on her blackberry to Dan. It was about 11:38pm thursday night and I whispered in a dark room..." The edge is open". "We are gonna do it, tomorrow, ok"

No reply.... Was needed....none was given..

As I dosed off, I knew kat was wide awake,
knowing we had a job to do when we came here and the week was almost done, and it was time... To do the worst job of my life...
-----------------------------------
7:21am
jan 7th 2011
We woke up and had some boil eggs with cheese whiz toast finger and got dressed, kat got hilton and slipped him in her pocket, it seems kat is the holder of hilton on all these trips... And we grabbed our boards and started our journey to the bottom of the hill from our condo, it hasn't snowed here in 4 days, it was 8:57am kinda sunny friday so far...

we made it to the bottom, everyone takes there boards off, I get some lift tickets for $5000.00 ( just kidding) and I strolled to vanhouttes coffee house to get a cup for the ride up the gondola, to the summit,
Drives the girls nuts that I take this 5 minutes to get coffee,
9:42am
As we get to the top, we head to the south side, fast and hard, a thigh burner ride and
back up we go on a quad chair, this time with the emotional intention to take our journey to the conclusion...

Up the Duncan chair its 15 minute chair, if it does not get stuck... Its a cold ride, and now the laughter and jokes slowly dried up as we all knew what was coming..


Now back at the summit for a 2cd time today...., we make our way north to the back side of tremblant , down we go, fast strong and quiet.... I could hear the snow cut on the edge of my board, like sand paper on wood, like the sound of a car skidding on a gravel road, turn by turn...
To a base area with another quad chair lift, this one is empty

Its jan 7th 2011, 10:41am minus 8 , winds out of the north west at about 15 km , little sun, a grey friday, kellie , kat, georg and I get on this cold chair, its the mont tremblant chair lift called the edge, for experts only,


As we get on the chair lift the chairs in front are empty,

Kat is crying quietly
Kellie says nothing

Georg is listening to some song that say "touch my pea cock" ... something not right about that....??? As a parent I find it odd, but it has a catchy jingle...

We reach the top, and prior we discussed that every one after our job is done, can leave at there own time and we will all meet at the base.... All trails lead down hill as the say...

Its 10:56am

We are at the top of the mont tremblant area called the Edge ; for experts only"

I have been bringing Hilton and Kat to the Edge for 13 years... Its a huge steep, with a ton of 300 year old trees,
Glade sking and boarding is the best , fast , dangerous, bumpy, soft snow, little jumps, no crowds, ian lazenby came here on his first day on a snow board 10 years ago... Remember ian............ I do.....

I can remember it being so foggy that we would play marko- polo in the forest while on our boards.. Never any wind, lots of little jumps, pretty, very quiet, you can here ever edge cut.. Little echos of people giggling, playing... The smell of pot ( this is canada)

We come down the well groomed steep face of the run called the Edge...to chair lift POLE #7 , right across is the flat tree glades, right there is a huge pine tree, and a stump of an old tree right in front,

I take off my board,
Georg, kat and kellie follow, and take there boards off, and walk into the trees,

Kat takes hilton from her pocket

Un screws the lid of the small urn,

Falls to her knees in the snow facing down hill in front of the stump....

And with her goggles on...

Opens the lid of the urn

I clean the stump of snow

Kat pours hiltons ashes out slowly,

11:12am

This tasks is like having stomach flu...and your gonna vomit... You don't want to vomit, but you know you have too...

You know its coming out, you try to stop it, but you know you'll feel better once its over,
You heave and ache, hold back, not wanting this to be real,

Kat pours those ashes on to the wood stump................., in silence, we all watched in disbelief that we were pouring the ashes of our brother and son....

We stood in the snow and cried,

I said out loud: " you were supposed to bury me first, these should be my ashes here and it should be me"...

I love you buddy, I said in a winney voice, cracked with emotion...

We all sobbed, out loud, not sure what to do,

our 2cd journey is done.....

We sat there ,
and yes I took photos...

As we gather our composure chipped off those frozen tears, we climbed back over to our boards


Kat rode off in silence, her heart broken... Her big brother dead and gone for ever...
Its 11:23am

Its been 67 days since my son died. FUCK ME......

Kellie put her stuff on and went slowly off...

I bent down to help georg with her binding s, because of the sharp slope we were on....

as georg and I sit on the edge of a crack in-between the trail and the forest... She looked at me
And
Gerog says: " if it makes you feel any better we are sitting in a crevasse"
GOD I love her......
Its 11:37am
I think that would is funny because it has the word " Ass" in it... Its a tim byrne family joke... Don't ask.. Thanks for making me laugh georg... I love you..


If you ever make your way out to mont tremblant... Stop by chair lift pole #7 look for the pine tree, and say hi to hilton... He will watch over you while your on the mountain.

Next stop British Columbia......

No comments:

Post a Comment